The following seven clips provide a helpful overview of Dr. Robin DiAngelo’s findings after the twenty+ years of research on these topics.
Why is it so difficult for white people to talk about race?
DiAngelo examines the common, counter-productive definitions I carry, the noncritical assumptions I operate from, and the unconscious patterns resulting from my inevitable socialization as a white person. I’ve isolated the 7 clips I found most helpful and linked them below:
- Racism is a system, not an event. 1 min 12 sec
- State sanctioned discrimination and violence 3 min 8 sec
- How we frame events: Jackie Robinson example 4 min 20 sec
- Good/Bad binary: Its function in conversations about race 12 min 26 sec
- Aversive racism in white defensiveness 16 min 39 sec
- What would it feel like to walk into that room? 11 min 5 sec
- Model for repair and non-defensiveness 6 min 35 sec